Northridge United Methodist Church
9650 Reseda Blvd.
Northridge, CA 91324
Ministry Job Description:
Director of Christian Education
FSLA Exempt – At Will - Full-Time
General Description: The Director of Christian Education (Director) is responsible for supervising and coordinating the following ministries/programs (including supervision of church employees and volunteers serving in such ministries/ programs):
1. Children and Youth Sunday School (Preschool through Young Adult)
2. Confirmation Program
3. Youth & Children’s Summer Ministries
4. Youth Ministries
5. Young Adult Ministries
6. Family Ministries
7. Children’s and Youth Choirs (when appropriate)
8. Adult Study
Specific Knowledge & Skill: The Director shall possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
1. Ability to relate well with church members/attendees and staff
2. Be able to communicate effectively with both children, youth and young adults
3. Have a sound understanding of the Christian faith and possess a basic knowledge of the teachings of the United Methodist Church.
Education: The Director shall have the following educational background:
1. High School diploma and completion of at least two years of college or equivalent training.
2. A Seminary education is preferred.
Experience: The Director shall have at least two years of working with children and/or youth in a volunteer or paid position.
Reporting Responsibility: The Director reports to the Senior Pastor. Support and evaluation will be under the guidance of the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Employee’s Responsibilities: The Director’s specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Coordinate and supervise Sunday School (Preschool through Young Adult).
2. Develop a calendar for classes and special events within the area of the job responsibilities.
3. Develop and implement curriculum for programs within Director’s areas of responsibility.
4. Recruit Sunday School teachers.
5. Facilitate training of Sunday School teachers.
6. Coordinate and supervise Confirmation Class, including recruiting a leader as required.
7. Develop and implement Councils/Ministry Teams for ministry areas, i.e. children, youth, family and young adult.
8. Supervise childcare providers for church programs.
9. Faithfully and effectively protect from harm all persons placed in the charge of the Director. To this end, the Director will understand and follow all policies and procedures of the church, including the Safe Gatherings policy.
Work Environment – The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of these duties. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Because of the composition of the Northridge United Methodist Church community, employees must be deemed suitable to work in an environment frequented by minors and the elderly. A criminal background check is required.
A. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to existing building and grounds conditions of the Church property.
B. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by persons working in the Church environment. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employee assigned to this job, and may be subject to changes in the future.
At-Will/Exempt Position: This is an "at will", exempt position. The church or employee may terminate this employment at any time, or for any reason consistent with applicable state or federal law. The “employment at will” policy cannot be changed verbally or in writing, unless both the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee specifically authorize the change in writing.
Please email your resume to Rev. Joseph Choi at RevChoi@northridgeumc.org